Translate

Saturday, April 26, 2014

New Books on the shelf!

I just took two new books out of the cook pot yesterday and I'm still doing the happy dance.  I achieved some incredible color and prints.  I included vintage doilies along with plant materials for the first time and both printed on the water color paper.  The large one is 7.5 inches x 11 inches, on Rives BFK cold pressed, 140 lb., the other is 4.5"x6" on Strathmore 400 series watercolor 140lb. cold pressed.  Both cooked in the same dye pot and bath, but you couldn't tell it by the color achieved.  Red and blue flower petals are usually quite fugitive for me, but this time I was rewarded with small miracles. I have never ever gotten such a bright yellow, and no metals were used in the bath, some tiny steel wires were used on a couple of the prints, and some of the doilies had been previously printed using the steel wires, but nothing prepared me for such bright yellows.  I hope the photos can do them justice.  They really are lovely.

4 comments:

  1. Please do click on the photos so you can see an enlarged view. Then you will be able to see the doily prints in the picture. The book was folded closed during cooking, and usually it is easy to see the mirror imag of the facing page Not so this time. It is kind of exciting not to be able to predict what you will end up with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What kind of flowers did you use in these prints? Were they fresh or dried? I also love the geranium leaves (cransebill).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Top phot, I used sea grape, wild cherry leaves, yellow onion skin, Red Maple leaves, Red Passion Flower leaves, antique doilies with some previously prnted iron on them. Coreopsis, Red Pelargonium (Geranium) flowers, Blue Delphinium flower petals. Some fine steel wires. The bottom book was Red Pelargonium flowers, Blue Delphinium petals, Wild Geranium (cranesbill), Yaupon Holly adn some steel wires Both books were cooked in a pot of river water (from a blackwater creek and high in tannins) Hope this helps

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot to add that other than the yellow onion skins & Sea Grape (dried) , everything else was fresh.

    ReplyDelete