Monday, December 2, 2013

Continued Reading!

Once your appetite for eco printing books gets going, it is hard to fill it up!  I could just keep on folding and stuffing and cooking until I dropped!  I am going to post some pages from my next three books, and I hope you enjoy them.


  1. Please elaborate on the pan you used (iron, copper, etc), and any copper or iron in the water……..Are you still favoring Strathmore watercolor paper?
    Love your work and I'm still working on getting better results. Have one book in progress.

  2. Hi, Carolyn. I am currently using a Tamaldora. That is a 30 qt. Aluminum pot for steaming tamales. It has a rack in the bottom on which I place 4 copper roof tiles that came off my daughter's house when she had to have the roof replaced. I have saved the dye bath each time I used it, because copper is something you don't want to pour on the ground. It can get into your water supply. The copper that leaches into the bath remains after each dye session. It only gets richer. In the current batch of photos, you will also see black and purple. These were from the combination of tannin in the Oak, Cherry and Eucalyptus leaves with iron from beer bottle caps and wires that I used on the pages. There is very little iron in the mixture, but wherever you see the grays to black and purples, it is from iron bleeding through the paper. I still favor Strathmore watercolor paper because it is is the easiest and cheapest to obtain in my area. I also use 90# cardstock, off white; though this is a little more fragile when soaking wet and hot. It is best to lay this aside carefully to drain a little longer than the heavier papers.
    I did manage to get my text block glued with PVA and a strip of silk habotai. After it thoroughly dried, I was able to open each page flat without putting stress on the pages. Now I have to successfully attach the cover to the text block so that I don't introduce stress to the joint between the cover and the text block.

  3. You are so good about replying and also in sharing information. Thanks for that. I showed my prints to ladies in my small art group and they all were impressed and interested in trying the process. I'm saving my copper water each time. I use an old enamel roasting pan with a rack in the bottom. Place my papers either between two ceramic tiles or sometimes just with cardboard on each side--tightly wrapped with cord or rubber bands.

    I've done considerable bookbinding, but haven't decided on how I want to bind these. I think I'm going to mount each print on the page using elephant hide paper for the pages and stitching with a coptic stitch. WIll keep you posted.

  4. Good to hear you are actively continuing printing. It really grows on you. Be bold. One word of caution about using cardboard. It is full of acid, and definitely is not archival. If you intend to keep any of your prints for a long time, do not use cardboard when cooking. It will start showing up as brown spots in about 2-3 months after cooking.

  5. I have just recooked the prints to the left, with other leaves, It looks like some of them will be quite dramatic when dry. I will post the results tomorrow afternoon, as I have to give a tour at the Museum in the morning.. In fact, I should be in bed, but couldn't wait to open the stack!