Translate

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Rust dyeing for my Vilnius Project!

Since I will be traveling to Vilnius, Lithuania April 8th for an exhibit of my eco printed fabric and paper works, I decided to do a rust printed/dyed project to commemorate the event.
I started with a piece of white cotton muslin approx. 5' x 6', gathered together all kinds of things that I thought would make interesting marks, and set about creating marks and textures to illustrate what could be done with recycled metals.
Old Railroad and Industrial pieces are good, construction debris, old farm equipment (they can be broken), old housewares and tools from your garage all contribute to making marks on your work surface.  You are creating sort of a metal shorthand.  And you are re-using something that probably would have gone to a landfill or stayed in a junk pile helping to draw vermin and maybe causing someone to get hurt.
You do not need to make a "realistic" picture.  You can do an abstract of similar shapes or high contrast shapes to help create textures rhythm and movement throughout the piece.  Let your self go and develop your inner expression.  I have provided some photos of the work in progress.  When it is complete, I will post it again.

5 comments:

  1. Best of luck on this fabulous adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Patricia. I am really looking forward to the trip and also the sharing of information. If you get a chance, take a look at Seven Baltic Gardens Project online. They are using only natural materials to create art of all types. It is being taught in schools in Lithuania, Latvia, Belarus and Peter Heisenbach is using natural techniques n his work in Essen Germany. They have created some awesome stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always wanted to go there. My maternal grandparents came from there at the turn of the last century...Thanks for the tip about the Seven Baltic Gardens Project. I will share it with my family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Lynda. I'm really looking forward to the trip. By the way, your shop is looking great also.

    ReplyDelete